System Design Evaluation Ltd (SDE) is a wholly independent, long established company providing impartial advice and guidance to MODs and Industry in the areas of Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions & Explosives (WOME) Safety, Defence Systems and Defence Services.
Our WOME expertise covers land, air and sea domains and our Customers include UK MOD, Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers. Our recent successes mean that we are seeking to expand our existing Safety & Environmental Management team. If you would like to develop your career in Safety and Environmental Engineering, working with a range of clients, across a variety of safety and environmental management projects then we would like to hear from you. Positions are available at all levels of experience and across all the domains with roles that would suit both junior engineers, with a minimum of 3 years of safety experience, as well as more experienced safety engineers with the opportunity and potential for management roles within SDE.
In terms of background, we would welcome applications from people with strong technical and engineering backgrounds, especially from a military or defence environment, with knowledge of one or more of the maritime, land, air and WOME domains. We have opportunities for candidates with Safety and / or Environmental backgrounds.
You will be working directly with our Customers and as such will require to be a self-starter, working on your own initiative and providing a professional approach, excellent communication skills (verbal & written) coupled with the ability to quickly develop rapport and empathy with our Clients. The package available is attractive and will be dependent on the role and the capabilities & experience of the applicant. The base location is also flexible.
The key responsibilities for the roles are typically:
Establishment and Maintenance of Safety & Environmental Engineering Artefacts as appropriate to the domain e.g.:
- Safety Management Systems & Plans, Safety Case Reports
- Environmental Management Systems & Plans, Environmental Case Reports, EISS Reports, EIM Reports, Environmental Impact Statements
- Hazard Logs
- Explosive Safety Case Reports (Ship / Class)
- OME Safety Instructions
- Defence Munition Publications & Digital Air Publications
Undertaking Safety & Environmental Engineering Activities appropriate to the domain e.g.:
- Hazard Identification & Analysis (HAZOP / FTA / FMEA)
- Environmental Impact Management / Environmental Impact Screening and Scoping
- Participation in and support to Safety & Environmental Management Reviews, Project Safety & Environmental Engineering Panels, Safety & Environmental Working Groups, Ordnance Safety Review Panels and OSRP Assurance Statements
- Establishment and Maintenance of Safety Arguments / Justifications including Goal Structuring Notation (GSN) and / or Claims, Argument Evidence (CAE)
- Munitions Naval Environment & Warship in Harbour Assessments
- Ship Explosives Store Safety Instructions (SEXSSIs)
- Safety Integrity Level Derivation and Assessment
For the more senior roles
- Project / Line Management & Leadership of Engineering Teams
- Independent Safety and/ or Environmental Audit leadership in compliance with relevant legislation
You should be educated to degree level in a relevant Engineering discipline or be able to demonstrate equivalent experience over an extended period
We are looking for recent knowledge and practical experience of a suitable combination of the following topics, e.g. if your expertise lies in the Air Domain we would expect you to have knowledge and experience of the relevant DSA requirements and MAA Regulatory Publications:
- Defence Engineering – Air / Land / Sea / WOME Domains
- Relevant Policy, Standards & Legislation (Domain specific):
- Def Stan 00-056 / Def Stan 00-055
- ASEMS (POEMS & POSMS)
- DSA 01.1
- DSA02-DMR / JSP430
- Def Stan 00-101
- DSA03.OME / JSP520
- DSA03.DLSR.LSSR / JSP454
- Military Airworthiness Authority Regulatory Publications
- Risk assessment and Management / ALARP assessment
- Safety Engineering Tools – e.g. eCassandra
Highly Desirable Requirements
- MSc in Safety and / or Environmental Engineering
- Post graduate qualifications in Explosive Engineering and / or Risk Management
- Chartered Engineer
- Qualified Lead Auditor – OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001 or equivalent
- Qualified Auditor – ISO 14001
- Recognised Project Management Qualification – APM or equivalent
Due to the nature of work these vacancies are only open to British Citizens. Applicants who meet this criterion will also be required to undergo security clearance vetting, if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.
Applicants should send a copy of their CV with a covering letter describing how they meet the requirements and contact details to:
Ian Beaton, Managing Director at email@example.com.