SDE provides safety and environmental management services for Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives at equipment, system and land platform level.
This is achieved by adopting a professional and practical approach to Hazard Identification and Analysis and Risk Assessment and Management.
This business area in the Company brings together the skills of our innovative engineers and scientists with those of our experienced staff with Army backgrounds and specialist knowledge in Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME), vehicle and Safety and Environmental Management domains.
Critically, the operational context within which many of the equipments are used can be fully appreciated and understood by our staff. This enables the formation of high competent multi-disciplined project teams, to provide credible solutions based on a pragmatic approach to safety and environmental assessment.
SDE has also been actively involved in the formulation of many safety related standards and has assisted in the development of safety and environmental management processes and procedures.
- Safety Management and Plans
- Safety and Environmental Cases and Reports
- Hazard Identification & Analysis
See below for more info
SDE has extensive capabilities in:
- Development of safety related policy, procedures and standards
- Development of safety documentation in accordance with JSP 454 and 520
- Drafting of Safety and Environmental Management Plans
- Development of OME Safety & Environmental Case Reports (SECR) for new and legacy equipments
- Development of JSP 454 Part 2 and Part 3 SECR
- Development of SECR of weapon systems and ancillary equipment onto platforms
- Drafting Safety Instructions (eg, SEXSSI)
- Hazard identification & analysis including FTA and FMECA
- Support on safety panels
- Independent auditing (ISA) and safety reviews
- General safety advice & training
- Requirements Engineering and documentation
- Explosive licensing
- Safety & Suitability for Service (S3) trials
- Drafting and reviewing safety trials specifications
- Provision of OME SMEs
- Provision of the MOD IM database
SDE has worked extensively on the provision of OME and JSP 454 Safety Cases, SECRs and related safety support for various DE&S teams including DSS, LWPB, MST, PMT, DGM, IGMR and SPSCM.
These activities have covered:
- New munitions, explosive devices and counter-IED equipment
- Legacy munitions
- Defence Munition Publications for new OME stores
- Assistance on pyrotechnics and fuzes to DOSG
- Infantry weapons, ammunition and sighting systems
- Weapon and sighting systems integration
- Attack Helicopter munitions and SHORAD missile system
- Vehicles and weapons mounting systems integration
SDE has extensive experience in producing environmental risk assessments for Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME) and other non OME military equipments in order to satisfy the requirements of Environmental Standards and Legislation and the MOD Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).