SDE has recently concluded a two year contract supporting Scout Specialist Vehicle (SV) Project Team (PT) at Defence Equipment & Support at MoD Abbeywood. SDE competitively won the contract to provide Technical expertise to support the Common Cannon and Ammunition Programme (CCAP). The CCAP 40mm Case Telescoped Ammunition and cannon is to be fitted to the British Army’s new Ajax (formerly Scout) Armoured Reconnaissance vehicle and the Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle Capability Sustainment Programme.
SDE has provided engineering expertise to DE&S to allow independent evaluation of technical aspects of trials, tests, reports and other documentation supplied by the manufacturer against the Sub-System Requirements Documents. To deliver the task, SDE has employed a team of Weapons, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (WOME) engineers, alongside System Engineers, WOME Safety Engineers and Technical Project Management staff to meet the needs of DE&S.
Tasks under the contract have included;
- Analysis of chamber fatigue testing methodology, chamber safety parameters and analysis of Safety and Suitability for Service (S3) requirements;
- Review of barrel fatigue trial results and analysis of testing relative to barrel fatigue life;
- Analysis and comparison of proof rounds;
- Technical Risk review of plastic cartridge cases for Training Ammunition;
- Production of Defence Munitions Publications;
- Analysis of breech fatigue testing methodology and test results; and,
- Review of Safety and Environmental Case Reports and Hazard Logs.
SDE has been able to provide a wide range of Suitably Qualified and Experienced Personnel (SQEP) to deliver the contract, ensuring that the correct skillset is available to SV PT to support the programme. Key has been developing good communication and relationships between the SDE team and provision of expert advice to allow MoD to make informed decisions through the early stages of qualification and into production. Provision of Systems Engineering support to WOME equipments is core business for SDE; our ability to draw on deep technical knowledge and deliver clear, unambiguous engineering advice has ensured a close working relationship with the DE&S team.
Images ©Crown Copyright