Naval Safety & Environmental Management
SDE provides Ship Weapon System Engineering and Safety & Environmental Management Services for Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives at equipment, system and ship platform level.
This is achieved by applying a wide range of weapon integration experience and adopting a professional and practical approach to Threat/Hazard Identification and Analysis and Risk Assessment and Management.
This business area in the company brings together the skills of our innovative engineers and scientists with those of our experienced staff with backgrounds in Weapon Engineering, ship replenishment, Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME) and Safety & Environmental Management in the maritime domain.
Critically, the operational context within which many of the equipment are used will be fully appreciated and understood by our staff. This enables the formation of highly competent multi- disciplined project teams, to provide credible solutions based on a pragmatic and proportionate approach to safety and environmental assessment.
SDE has also been actively involved in the formulation of many key UK MoD design safety related standards and has assisted in the development of current naval safety and environmental management processes and procedures.
- Safety & Environmental Cases and Reports
- Safety Management & Plans
- Threat/Hazard Identification & Risk Analysis
- Warship In Harbour Assessment & Warship Hazard Footprint Statements
- Ship Weapon Integration & Magazine Design
- Replenishment and Weapon Handling
See below for more detailed information below
SDE has extensive capabilities in:
- Development of maritime safety policy and procedures.
- Preparation of Safety & Environmental Management Plans and Certification Strategies under DSA02.DMR/JSP 430 Chapter 8 and DSA03.OME(JSP 520) and ASEMS (POSMS & POEMS).
- Preparation of weapon Dynamic Safety Case Reports (DSCR).
- Development of Platform Safety Cases and Reports including Class or Ship Explosive Safety Cases, Aviation Safety Cases and Replenishment Safety Cases.
- Safety & Environmental Case Reports (SECR) for new and legacy munitions and naval weapons, replenishment and aviation equipments.
- Warship In Harbour Assessments and Production of Warship Hazard Footprint Statements.
- Threat/Hazard Identification & Analysis (including FTA, FMECA and HEA) and Residual Risk Assessment & Management.
- Production of Magazine Design Statements
- Magazine Material State Inspections and Plan Approval for magazines.
- Safety of RAS handling (Liquids), (Solids) and (Ammunition), including Human Factors for these and other RFA activities.
- General safety & environmental advice & training.
- Independent Safety & Environmental Auditing (ISA & IEA) and safety and environmental reviews.
- Safety & Suitability for Service (S3) trials for OME in the maritime domain.
SDE has been instrumental in evolving a successful approach to ship explosives safety with explosives safety management and certification plans, Ship/Class Explosives Safety Case Reports and supporting documentation compliant with UK Naval Authority Explosives requirements together with unique experience in providing Explosives Safety Managers and advice to new platforms.
SDE has worked extensively on weapon engineering tasks and various ship safety and environmental tasks across the following programmes:
- Ship/Class Explosive Safety Case documentation and Reports for QEC, T45, T23, T26, Astute and various smaller vessels (including for foreign Navies), for Platform PTs, BAE Systems, Serco, Damen and Lloyd’s Register.
- Comprehensive Threat/Hazard Identification & Risk Assessment for QEC, T45, T23, RCB2, WRMH, Hunt, RAN AOR, RNZN MSC Tanker.
- PAAMS(S) missiles for MRAD PT including SEMP, EHDS, depot safety and casualty weapons.
- Provision of SME advice including OME, Aviation and RFA operational safety.
- Explosives Safety Managers for QEC, T45 and T26 including Certification Strategy and SEMP.
- Munition integration in QEC, T45, and LPH.
- OME Stowage Plans for QEC, LPH, LPD and RFAs.
- Legacy munitions for DGM PT.
- Explosive mitigation design including RATTAM. Vulnerability of ship hulls to terrorist attack.
- Safety assessment of magazine structural protection and internal mitigation solutions.
- Design Safety Justifications, technical specifications for magazines and engineering specifications for weapon handling systems for QEC(ACA), MARS(AfSup) and SD Victoria(Damen).
- Naval Environment Assessment Statements (NEAS) and Ship Explosives Store Safety Instruction (SEXSSIs) on behalf of NAGExp for all munitions that may be carried in MOD ships.
- Munition safety aspects for emergency docking.
- Overpressure Vent calculation.
- Independent Safety & Environmental Audits: currently providing ISEA services into the UK MCM DT.