In terms of background, we would welcome applications from people with strong technical and engineering backgrounds, especially from a military or defence environment, with knowledge and experience in at least one of Air, Land, Maritime and WOME domains.
Positions are available at all levels of experience and across all the domains with roles that would suit both junior engineers, with a minimum of 3 years of safety experience, as well as more experienced safety engineers with at least 8 years’ experience. There is also the opportunity and potential for management roles within SDE and as such we are interested in candidates with proven project management and/or technical leadership credentials.
You will be working directly with our Customers and as such you will require to be a self-starter, working on your own initiative and providing a professional approach, excellent verbal and written communication skills coupled with the ability to quickly develop rapport and empathy with our Clients.
The package available is attractive and will be dependent on the capabilities and experience of the applicant. The base location is flexible with home and client based working a key aspect of our company operation.
- Establishment and Maintenance of Safety Engineering Artefacts e.g.:
- Safety Management Systems & Plans.
- Safety Case Reports.
- Hazard Logs.
- OME Safety Instructions.
- Defence Munition Publications & Digital Air Publications.
- Undertaking Safety & Environmental Engineering Activities e.g.:
- Hazard Identification & Analysis (HAZOP / FTA / FMEA).
- Participation in and support to Safety & Environmental Management Reviews, Project Safety & Environmental Engineering Panels, Safety & Environmental Working Groups, Ordnance Safety Review Panels and OSRP Assurance Statements.
- Facilitation of PSEPs, WGs, HIAs and SMRs for our Clients.
- Establishment and Maintenance of Safety Arguments / Justifications including Goal Structuring Notation (GSN) and/or Claims, Argument Evidence (CAE).
- Safety Integrity Level Derivation and Assessment.
- Leadership and Management:
- Project / Line Management & Leadership of Engineering Teams.
- Independent Safety leadership in compliance with relevant legislation.
Highly Desirable Requirements
- MSc in Safety Engineering.
- Post graduate qualifications in Explosive Engineering and/or Risk Management.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Qualified Lead Auditor – OHSAS 18001, ISO 45001 or equivalent.
- Qualified Auditor – ISO 14001.
- Recognised Project Management Qualification – APM or equivalent.
Due to the nature of work successful applicants will be required to undergo security clearance vetting, if not already security cleared, to a minimum SC level.
- Defence Engineering – Air / Land / Naval / WOME Domains.
- Relevant Policy, Standards & Legislation (Domain specific):
- Def Stan 00-056 / Def Stan 00-055
- ASEMS (POEMS & POSMS)
- DSA 01.1
- DSA 01.2
- DSA 02
- DSA 02.OME
- DSA 03.OME Part 1 (JSP520)
- DSA 03.OME Part 2 (JSP482)
- DSA 03.DLSR.LSSR (JSP454)
- Military Airworthiness Authority (MAA) Regulatory Publications
- Risk assessment and Management / ALARP assessment.
- Safety Engineering Tools: e.g. eCassandra, ASCE.